Monday, December 01, 2008

Kauai!

We spent Thanksgiving week on Kauai.  It was a fantastic trip.  The weather was perfect and so was the schedule.  We're so blessed to be able to visit this part of the Lord's creation!



































You read that right: SPF 70.















Mahaulepu Beach















A monk seal and her new pup















Looking east into Waimea Canyon















I loved driving our soft-top Jeep Wrangler down this logging-style road to the trail head for one of our hikes in Waimea Canyon.  Plowing through the red dirt and huge mud puddles was so fun!















Indiana Jones!















Looking south into Waimea Canyon




















These rock formations were very interesting.  Maybe I should take my whip and fedora and go explore them...




















This small waterfall and pool is the beginning of the waterfall you see in the eastward looking picture of the canyon.















Kauai is covered with these wild chickens or as I like to call them, jungle fowl.















Here's our vacation rental.





























Sunset from our deck















An ironically named volume.  I ended up scrapping this book in favor of another Cadfael mystery.















Here we are on Hanalei Bay.  Above me you can see the snout and head of Puff the Magic Dragon (from a land called Hanalei).


































Here's the cliffed and roadless Napali coast.




















I love the rock formations on the island.  No wonder Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed here...















A rainbow from our deck















The infamous Spouting Horn.  This hollow lava tube blows the surf up through it with the incoming tide.















Surviving the shockingly frigid Honolulu airport while waiting to catch our delayed redeye flight home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looks like so much fun! Great pics, they will make beautiful desktops while you're stuck inside for the winter :-)